Juan Pampin's piece "On Space" for percussion sextet and 3D electronic sounds has been released as part of Les Percussions de Strasbourg 50th Anniversary Edition 15-CD box. This box –released by Universal France and recently acquired by the UW Libraries– includes hirstorical recordings of pieces by Messiaen, Varese, Xenakis, Boulez, Cage, Serocki, etc., as well as more recent unpublished recordings by the group. The published on-location recording of On Space was entirely produced at DXARTS by Juan Pampin and Joseph Anderson.
On Space (2000/2005), for percussion sextet and 3D electronic sounds
Commissioned by Les Percussions de Strasbourg and GRAME, Centre National de Création Artistique.
• Performers: Bernard Lesage, Claude Ferrier, Olaf Tzschoppe, Jean-Paul Bernard, Keiko Nakamura, François Papirer (in score order from percussion I to VI)
• Percussions de Strasbourg Technical manager: Laurent Fournaise
• Recorded on location at Palais des Fêtes, Strasbourg, France, January 12 - 13, 2006. Recording sessions supervised by the composer.
• Edited and mixed by Juan Pampin and Joseph Anderson at the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media (DXARTS), University of Washington, Seattle, USA
• Recorded and Mastered by Joseph Anderson
• This recording was produced through the use of the Ambisonic Toolkit (ATK), and represents a first 'on location' application of the ATK production system. A Stereo Ambisonic UHJ recording.
• Microphones: Soundfield ST250, 8 x Schoeps MK5 (omnidirectional)
• Microphone Preamp: DACS Clarity MicAmp
• This recording was made possible through the support of the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media (DXARTS), and has been partially funded by the Royalty Research Fund of the University of Washington.
• Special thanks for technical assistance to Fernando Lopez-Lezcano and the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA), Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA.