Open CUBE Lecture & Concert
Stelios Manousakis: Harnessing Feedback
Closing a 3-month artist residency in Vienna with KulturKontakt Austria and the Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, the Arts and Culture, Stelios Manousakis will perform a solo concert at IEM's Open CUBE in Graz. The concert features 3 of his recent feedback-based / cybernetic compositions (part of his research at DXARTS), and will be proceeded by a lecture about his work and some of the context, ideas and techniques behind it.
Involuntary Cognition Faction (2011/13) - for voltage-controlled analog electronics
Palpebla Resonoj #1 (2013) - for feedback-augmented alto clarinet and real-time computer processing
Fantasia On A Single Number (2009)- for digital feedback (live electronics)
Where: Institute for Electronic Music and Acoustics, University of Music and Performing Arts, Inffeldgasse 10/3, 8010 Graz.
When: Monday 24/3/2014, 19h (lecture), 20h (concert)
Stelios Manousakis (GR/NL/US) is a composer, performer, sound artist and researcher. He operates across the convergence zones of art, science and engineering - composition, performance and installation - the rich tradition of Western art music and ‘digital folk’ idioms. His work is visceral yet cerebral, communicating through pure, raw experience while being complex and multilayered. His output extends from music compositions – most often with live electronics - to intermedia and sound art installations, to fixed medium pieces and film music. Many of these works merge algorithmic finesse with the expressivity of improvisation, or the immediacy of audience participation. They are often designed as emergent (eco)systems or organisms, unearthing rich and organic worlds through artistic reinventions of models from complexity science, cybernetics, biology and game theory. His work has been shown in various festivals and venues across Europe and the Americas. Besides his solo work, he is a founding member of several music ensembles and multimedia groups. Stelios is in the process of finishing a PhD at the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media (DXARTS, University of Washington, Seattle, USA).
Other selected activities during Stelios Manousakis' residency in Austria include:
• Presentation: Guest composer on the weekly radio show Connex, on acoustic and electro-acoustic improvised and related composed music (Orange FM, Vienna, 25.03.2014 - 22h to 23h CET: Livestream)
• Exhibition: 'Act so that there is no use in a center' - KulturKontakt Austria, Artists-in-residence group exhibition (Vienna, 17-27.03.2014)
An abstracted, deconstructed spatial radio play setting 'Tender Buttons: Rooms' by Gertrude Stein, as a distributted, radio transmitted sound installation
• Concert: Palpebla Resonoj #1 - Rhiz, Bloedermittwoch series (Vienna, 19.03.2014)
• Concert: Palpebla Resonoj #1 & Fantasia On A Single Number - Fluc, Klub Moozak series (Vienna, 26.02.2014)
• Workshops: Listening to the world/making the world sound (Vienna & Wels, 02-03.2014)
• Concert: Fantasia On A Single Number - Favoriten Modern series (Vienna, 31.01.2014)
• Lecture: Seminar/Guest artist presentation - Computer Music and Electronic Media department (ELAK), University of Music and Performing Arts (Vienna, 22.01.2014)
(Note: the above photo by Markus Gradwohl)